Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Beagle Pub - Cook Street Village (Downtown)

The Beagle Pub on Urbanspoon

Early on a Friday night the Beagle is bustling and tough to find a seat, but with a little patience the servers were able to find a table to seat five.

The first thing that caught my eye in the Beagle wasn't their food, nor the atmosphere; it was, their beer. Friday night the Beagle is pouring up pints of my favorite brewery on Vancouver Island - Phillips for $5.50. In fact the Beagle has a great selection of BC craft breweries on tap; brewery's like Phillips, Whistler, Lighthouse and Driftwood to name a few. I would go back to the Beagle just for their beer. BC has some of the best craft beer makers around, but so many pubs fail to capitalize on the great local beers surrounding them and focus on the lower quality big name breweries.

What goes better with a pint of your favorite beer than pub style hot wings - nothing! The wings at the Beagle were plump, crispy and well coated in hot sauce (I'm guessing Frank's). I quite enjoyed their wings and I am glad I ordered them because others at my table said they aren't known for the quality of their food. However, I would say that the wings are a little pricey - just over $10 for a dozen.

If there is one thing that would bring down my rating of the Beagle it would be this: the service can be quite slow. Now, by no means did I wait half an hour for a drink, but it was slower than other busy pubs I have been to in Victoria.

Overall, the Beagle is a solid pub in a cool neighborhood. Check it out the next time your in the Cook Street Village and tilt back a pint of Chocolate Porter for me.

2 comments:

osushi japanes restaurant said...

Any thing that comes under food can’t give you the feeling of active, alive and fresh or in other words brings back the spark. So if any food brings you all these then that it is the real food. The originality in it can give you the home kind of feeling like your granny.Restaurant Byron-bay

VictoriaRestaurantBlog said...

Hmmmm.....? Not quite sure what you are trying to say, but thank you for your comment; and for reading Average Joe's Victoria Restaurant Blog.

Sincerely,

Average Joe's.

Post a Comment