Monday, January 16, 2012

Aoki's Shave Ice - North Shore, Oahu HI

Aoki's Shave Ice on Urbanspoon

What better on a hot Winter day than ice cream...how about ice cream topped with shave ice and delicious syrups!

Having never had Shave Ice before and hearing nothing but good things I had to have it while visiting the North Shore of Oahu. Shave Ice is similar to a snow cone, but ten times better. Shave Ice is made by shaving a block of ice rather than using crushed ice like a snow cone. The process of shaving the ice helps it to absorb the delicious flavoured syrups and toppings, such as pineapple, condensed milk and li hing mui...


There are two main shave ice shops in the North Shore: Aoki's and Matsumoto Shave Ice. From what I hear both are great, but I chose Aoki's as the line was somewhat shorter. I believe I chose right, I don't think shave ice could taste any better than the one Aoki's made up for me. I had the Local Mix with ice cream and loved it so much that I drove up to the North Shore again on the last day of my trip just to have it one more time before heading back.


P.S. Shave Ice it typically served in a paper cup, but I suggest spending the extra $0.50 and getting the plastic cup; you'll find it much easier to eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment