Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Keneke's - Waimanalo, Oahu HI

Keneke's Plate Lunch on Urbanspoon

Driving along the beautiful Windward side of Oahu, my wife and I came across Keneke's. We were looking for something other than another shrimp truck and Keneke's looked like just the place.

The first thing that caught my attention when walking in the door was that the restaurant walls were covered with scripture... Now I don't care what anyone's religious beliefs are, but I thought it a little ballsy to adorn your restaurant with quotes from the bible.

The prices for plate lunches at Keneke's seemed much cheaper than other places on the Island and knowing that my wife really wanted to try a Loco Moco plate we thought we'd stick around and give it a go.

As noted my wife had the Loco Moco ($6.99) and I tried ordering the same, but without egg (I guess the secret is out - I hate egg's). Our somewhat friendly server thought I was crazy and told me to order the Hamburger Steak plate instead ($6.99). Our server then proceeded to tell us how her ex-husband was a picky eater and how that helped in making the divorce final; I thought it might have been because she was a bossy B**CH... who knows!

The food came out and my God - oops! Sorry Keneke's, I used the lords name in vein. Anyways the portions were Humongous!!! My plate had 2 large scoops of rice, 1 scoop of macaroni salad, 3 hamburger patties and was drenched in a brown gravy. I enjoyed most of my meal, but found the burger patties to be overcooked and grisselly. My wife's plate was similar but lacked two of my burger patties and replaced them with fried eggs. She too enjoyed her meal apart from the burger patty.

All in all the food was filling, cheap and the service...mediocre. If you can handle the alright service and the religious preachings then Keneke's might be an acceptable place for lunch; just don't have the burger patties.

0 comments:

Post a Comment