Sunday, October 16, 2011

Asian Noodle House, Colwood

Asian Noodle House on Urbanspoon

I will never say that I am an expert on Chinese food, but I have eaten enough of it to determine the great restaurants from the average and the down right awful ones.

Feeling lazy and not in the mood to cook, I decided to order some take-out from the Asian Noodle House. Having never been to the Asian Noodle House, I walked in and was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and the wonderful smelling aroma. Immediately I started to wonder if this might be the hidden gem of the Westshore I was looking for...

I ordered the dinner for two which consisted of your normal Chinese fair - beef and broccoli; sweet and sour pork, steamed rice and choice of egg rolls or wonton soup. Feeling that I wanted to try more, I order both the wonton and the egg rolls as well as the pad thai (which was recommended by the hostess). My bill came to approximately $36, which for what I ordered didn't seem too unreasonable.

Having arrived back home and starving after smelling the magnificent aromas wafting from the bag; I was extremely excited about delving into my new found favourite Chinese restaurant in the Westshore or, at least I thought so....

Maybe it was the anticipation or, reading all the wonderful reviews on Urbanspoon, but somehow I felt, ripped off, disappointed, even peeved that the food hadn't lived up to my expectations! In actual fact I found it quite bland and typical of most Chinese buffets. Now, don't get me wrong this isn't the worst Chinese food I have ever eaten, to quote my stepson "I'd give it a 6 out of 10". It's just that, a six, mediocre, standard "top 40" Chinese food.

Having said all of that, Asian Noodle House is still probably one of your better options for Chinese food in the Western Communities the only competition being Golden Lion on Jaclin Road.

I guess this is a lesson, if you want authentic Chinese food go to China Town or, don't be disappointed in the suburban joints.

3 comments:

Delhi Food said...

Hey - nice blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using.

Anonymous said...

Great article! This information really made me stop and think about it. I agree with much of the information you have written. I will have to read this over again.e cigs

Anonymous said...

Just ordered the Szechuan Noodle Box and it is a saucy mess. I had high hopes but the sauce tastes like the bottled sugary stuff and the noodles are mushy. Not what I was wanting at all......the service was friendly though. Will not order that again.......

Post a Comment