Saturday, June 11, 2011

BEX Bubble Tea & Espressso, Langford

Bex Bubble Tea on Urbanspoon

There are a few key ingredients to opening a new restaurant. Ingredients to ensure that your business is successful over the long term and doesn't fall flat after a few months. Here are a few of these key ingredients:
1) Bring something new to the table, don't try and enter a market that is already over-saturated
2) Make sure what your selling is good quality.
3) Good location
4) Friendly staff; and
5) Good atmosphere that people don't mind spending time (and money) in.

I write this blog in hope that the owners of BEX will listen; and take my criticism (positive or not) and turn it into a positive, something that will ensure they have a long and prosperous career being self employed.

They have nailed point one, I don't know or have I ever heard of another bubble tea joint in the Western Communities. However, I can't say that they are making the grade on any of the other points. Granted as a new business it is sometimes hard paying for primo store front, but almost anything would be better than not having any street front visibility. BEX is located on the corner of Jacklin Road and Sooke Road (Hwy 14), but you would never know it. They are tucked away behind and below Mac's. I have driven by this area plenty of time and never even realized that there were stores underneath Mac's...yikes!!

I guess I skipped by point number two: Good quality. Unfortunately, this is another area where BEX is slightly behind the "8" ball. There Bubble tea was similar to other places I have been to in the past; however, there were a couple of noticeable differences: not good ones either. There bubble tea was loaded with ice; thus, making it watery and hard to enjoy the "bubbles". This overabundance of ice could have been avoided it they simply left their pre-made concoctions in the refrigerator; rather than, on the counter on a 25 degree Celsius day. They do offer an assortment of bubbles to choose from, it would be nice though if they got your order right. My son ordered green apple bubbles to go with his drink and even after the so diligently wrote down his order, they still gave him Tapioca bubbles. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with restaurants: get the order right!

My #1 biggest pet peeve is customer service. If I get one bad experience with service, chances are I will never go back! I was unimpressed with the customer service I received at BEX; actually, what service. Upon walking in the door the girl at the front counter almost seemed annoyed that customers were coming in - not a good first impression for a new business. Then when we placed our orders there was no friendly "hi" "how are you", nope, just a blank stare into the abyss, as if she had better more important things to do than take our order.

Lastly, if I could give one final critique: get an air conditioner for the summer! It wasn't even a hot summer day, but I started to break a sweat walking in the door. The outside is no better as there are only 4 seats to sit and enjoy your warm, watery bubble tea; and if there is anyone there I am sure those will be the first seats to go.

All in all, I wasn't impressed with BEX - I am not sure if I will ever go back; maybe, in a year or two - that is if they are still in business.

0 comments:

Post a Comment