Thursday, November 3, 2011

Zap Thai, Esquilmalt

Zap Thai on Urbanspoon

Zap Thai Restaurant on Restaurantica

Have you ever left a restaurant with that euphoric feeling? Feeling happy to have just had the most amazing meal and thinking, WOW, I can't wait to go back and try something else off of their menu. I had just that experience tonight, an experience I haven't had in Victoria since the first time I ate at the Empress Room. This new experience happened at a tiny little hole in the restaurant in Esquilmalt: Zap Thai. Calling it a hole in the wall is probably a little over the top, Zap Thai is a small quaint restaurant which is simply decorated in Thai memorabilia and old radios. In fact the name Zap Thai makes me think of super heroes; and, after eating their I understand why they call it Zap, simply put I felt SUPER afterwords.

We started our meal off with the most amazing appetizer - Mhee Grobb ($7). I have never had Mhee Grobb before, but I am sure I could eat it like junk food, in fact, if for nothing else I will go back to Zap Thai just for some more Mhee Grobb. If you are reading this and thinking what the heck is Mhee Grobb, it is crispy rice noodles with tofu, shrimp and egg topped with a tasty sweet sauce. Trust me on this one - go get some; heck, if you are reading this and Zap Thai is still open; stop what you are doing, drive/walk down there and order some Mhee Grobb to go, then come back and finish reading because there are more dining delights ahead.

Our second appetizer were their spring rolls ($7), they were good, but slightly greasy. However, even being slightly greasy they were still pretty decent. They weren't the best spring rolls I have ever had - that title belongs to my stepson's grandmother, but they were nothing to complain about.

Enough about spring rolls - I now want to influence you on trying one of the best Curries I have ever eaten, I am speaking of the Panaeng Currie! The Panaeng Currie is by far the most delicious Currie I have ever eaten, I find it delicious because it is not your typical Currie, this one is slightly thicker and has a delicious peanut sauce mixed in with it (YUMMM).

I hope I have inspired you to check out Zap Thai - I guarantee you won't be disappointed because this has to be my new favorite restaurant on the Island (other than the Empress).

Oh, and, if you did happen to stop by Zap Thai on your way home, feel free to comment on what you think, maybe even save me some leftovers....

0 comments:

Post a Comment