Monday, January 24, 2011

The Keg, Downtown...Dependably Decent!

I wonder what one might be interested in knowing about the Keg? I would imagine that most, if not, all of you have been to the Keg in Victoria or elsewhere at least once. However, if you haven't, here is my review of the Keg's downtown location.

For a Saturday night it wasn't overly busy, unlike their Saanich location. The dining room had a 20 min wait, but we were able to be seated right away in their lounge. The lounge offers the same service and menu as the dining room; however, the tables are a bit smaller and the ambient noise is increased.

I started off with an appetizer of Escargot and a Caesar Salad. The Escargot was packed with flavor and was very tasty. I was slightly disappointed in their Caesar Salad. I found the dressing to be quite watery and very bland. I have to say that in my previous experiences I have found their Caesar Salads to be quite flavorful; hopefully, this doesn't become the norm. As per usual they brought out a basket of fresh bread to snack on. I always make sure the order their 3 cheese butter to go with the bread (it's awesome).
The only difference in their service was the bread was delivered after the appetizers and almost at the same time as the main course. Speaking of main courses, I had their 8oz Strip, with a backed potato and button mushrooms. The steak was well seasoned; however, they were slightly off with their cooking temps/times. I ordered my steak med/rare and it arrived rare. I don't generally mind if my steak is on the rare side; and this was no exception, I only comment on it because a steak house should be able to cook a steak as ordered. The baked potato was like any other; except, it was covered with three cheese butter.....delicious! Finally for dessert I had a trio of dessert shots, the most memorable being the banana caramel cake shot: AWESOME!

The total bill for my fiance and I was under $90.00 and that included two 9oz glasses of wine. The service was exceptionally fast and we were able to finish and pay in an hour and a half.

In summary my Keg experience was just what I thought it would be; decent food for a decent price.

I would give the downtown Keg a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Keg Steakhouse and Bar - Fort Street on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment