Friday, December 7, 2012

Asiana Pho, Duncan BC

Asiana Pho on Urbanspoon

Pho is a comfort food. Whether you are sitting around with friends or simply looking for something hot on a cold night; Pho makes you feel good. Finally, this Asian noodle delight has arrived in Duncan; along with many other classic Asian dishes. With the new addition of Asiana Pho in Duncan there is finally some ethnic variety to choose from. The only question - is it good?

I have officially eaten at Asiana Pho three times now trying something different on each occasion. My first experience was the Pho. It had a solid broth with a generous helping of noodles and beef. Like any Pho it came with sides of cilantro, bean sprouts and lime; however, I was a little disappointed with the missing jalapeno and mint leaves. I left full, but a little underwhelmed compared to good Pho restaurants in Victoria or Vancouver; and, even compared to the Pho I make at home.

Time two was the Korean BBQ; which was tasty, but again a little underwhelming. I left this meal with the overpowering taste of raw onion in my mouth for the remainder of the day.

Finally, attempt three was the Japanese Ramen. Like the Pho it had a solid broth with generous helpings, but altogether fell flat.

I feel like I am being a little hard on Asiana Pho, there food is decent and with no other restaurant like it in Duncan they should do well. Unfortunately, my comparisons to flavours and quality originate from areas with stiff competition; where if your food is lack luster your not going to last long. I don't feel that this is the future for Asiana. Duncan is a town with limited choices and if you deliver original, decent food you'll do just fine.

p.s. I forgot to mention they do make a mean bubble tea. In fact there bubble tea was better than many places in Victoria.

0 comments:

Post a Comment